All About Multiple Sclerosis

More MS news articles for October 2003

Tom Yorke; D.C. Journalist

Monday, October 20, 2003
The Washington Post

Tom Yorke, 73, who for 53 years reported and wrote about sports, people and entertainment for three Washington daily newspapers, died Oct. 16 at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. He had congestive heart failure and multiple sclerosis.

In March 2000, Mr. Yorke retired from the Washington Times, where he was a copy editor for the Metropolitan news section. He was one of the newspaper's first employees when it debuted in May 1982, and he became its People columnist.

He began his newspaper career in 1947 in the sports department at the Washington Daily News.

He joined the Army in 1952 and was stationed in Germany, where he was editor of a weekly Army newspaper.

After being discharged in 1955, he returned to the Daily News, becoming its Redskins beat reporter from 1958 to 1968.

He also wrote "The Pipeline," a daily column that focused on the Redskins during football season and all other sports throughout the year.

He joined the Evening Star in 1969, reporting on professional and collegiate sports. He particularly enjoyed handicapping horse racing.

One August day in the early 1970s, he picked nine of the 10 winners at Timonium Race Course. But he was not a gambler, and he drove to the track that day with only $1.80 in his pocket, not enough to place a $2 bet.

In Aug. 7, 1981, he was production editor of the Star's morning edition when Time Inc. folded the newspaper.

He enjoyed boating on the Chesapeake Bay, which he wrote about in numerous articles about recreation.

After retiring from the Times, he wrote occasional articles about steeplechase racing that appeared in The Washington Post.

He was a founding partner and a vice president of Yorke Property Management Inc, a real estate investment company that has operated for 22 years.

He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He moved with his family to the District in 1940. He graduated from St. John's College High School in 1947 and attended the University of Maryland. He lived in Hyattsville until 1978, when he moved to Annapolis.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Nancy E. Yorke of Annapolis; two sons, Jeffrey, of Cheverly and Gregory, of Arnold; and two granddaughters.

Copyright © 2003, The Washington Post Company