More MS news articles for Mar 2002

MS victim lives Easter

Saturday, March 23, 2002
By BOB BRIGGS Correspondent,

FARMINGDALE - The Easter message of suffering and resurrection has taken on a whole new meaning for Susan Wynn, a Farmingdale resident. She said the story of bleak Good Friday giving way to the resurrection on Easter Sunday has been replicated in her own life.

Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in April of 1996, Wynn has made what her family and friends call a miraculous recovery, one that Wynn attributes to Jesus.

Born in Augusta, Wynn lived in Florida before moving back to the area to graduate from Gardiner Area High School in 1973.

She worked at the Veterans Affairs Medical and Regional Office Center at Togus from 1985 to 1996, when the onset of MS symptoms forced her to leave her job.

April 12, 1996 marked the beginning of Wynn's ordeal.

"I finished watching the evening news, and my head began to bob violently back and forth," she said. "I thought I was having a stroke."

Her husband Jeff rushed her to the emergency room. Doctors recommended a neurologist. After four months, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Over the next two years, her symptoms had worsened and she underwent treatment in Boston.

Wynn said she took up to 30 pills a day, had daily injections of Interferon to suppress her immune system, and had chemotherapy in an attempt to slow the progression of the disease. She became nearly bedridden.

"I felt awesome fatigue, like a marathon runner who just finished a 20-mile race," she recalled.

In the summer of 2001, Wynn was hospitalized after collapsing with a blood infection.

The Rev. David "Doc" Uber, the new pastor at Gardiner Free Methodist Church visited her and asked her about her relationship with God.

"He told me that Jesus Christ was a present-day healer, just like he was in Bible times," Wynn said.

Wynn began studying references to healing in the Bible and to pray with Uber and her husband for the areas damaged by the disease.

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God," Wynn said. I got to the point where I knew I could be healed."

On the night of Sept. 5, 2001, her faith turned into reality. After spending most of the night reading and meditating on Scripture, Wynn said, she had a heavenly encounter.

"I felt a sudden sensation of God's presence coming down on my head and enveloping my whole body," she said. "It was euphoric, awesome. I knew I had been touched by God."

The next day she began weaning herself from the medication after consulting with her neurologist.

For the past seven months, Wynn has been free of all symptoms and medications.

Wynn is now looking to embark on a new career of writing, singing and testifying in churches. Any groups wishing to hear Wynn's story of healing can contact her, care of Gardiner Free Methodist Church at 582-2546.

Copyright © 2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.