7:35 a.m. ET (1535 GMT) March 13, 2000
By Mark J. Terrill/AP
LOS ANGELES - Richard Pryor is taking out a restraining order against his 38-year-old son, according to a statement released by the comedian.
Pryor's move comes on the heels of Pryor's son seeking conservatorship of his father's estate last month
"Unfortunately, because of Richard Jr.'s unwelcome and aggressive efforts to seek audience with his father, it was necessary to prepare requests for restraining orders," said Pryor's lawyer, Lynda Larsen.
Pryor's son last month sought conservatorship of his father's estate. The 59-year-old Pryor is fighting multiple sclerosis, and his son claims in court papers that his father cannot care for himself.
Pryor's son also claims that Jennifer Lee, a former spouse, has been draining the comedian's assets without consent.
"Richard has been and is fully in control of his own circumstances and
voluntarily employs Jennifer Lee on a full-time basis as his agent and
personal manager," the senior Pryor said in the statement. "He has the
utmost trust and confidence in the work Jennifer does on his behalf."